Friday, August 9, 2013

6 Months

Ah, summer.  It's my favorite time of the year!

Baby Naomi continues to grow and has now reached the 1/2 year mark!


 

Naomi was 12.5 lbs at her 4 month appointment and was just bigger than 14.5 lbs at her 6 month. This means she averages growing a pound a month. Her skull had fused together by 4 months, which surprised the doctor...but most importantly, I'm just so happy she is healthy.  Knock on wood, she has not been sick yet either.  So lucky!  :)

Some Naomi milestones:

Naomi has slept through the night since 3 months (since she has slept in her room).  She sleeps 10-12 hours every night without fail.  How did I get so lucky?  She just loves sleep like her Momma.  She goes to bed between 7:30-9:00 pm and wakes up between 6:00-7:30 am, but mostly it's closer to the 7:30-7:30 hours.

I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this out of the deepest most profound gratitude in my heart.  I don't function without nighttime sleep and/or naps and I don't do caffeine, so I'm just thankful!  She rarely cries after nighttime sleep; I usually go in to get her when I hear her talking to herself, so I'm sure she lays there quietly for a little while, contemplating the mysteries of the universe.

She also naps quite well, at least one 3 hour nap and usually two other shorter naps.  She has learned that she can use crying as a tool to get out of a nap, but most of the time we lay her down, she turns her head, sucks her thumb, and goes off to dreamland. The other times, I've had to learn not to be as quick to pick up my poor sweet crying baby because I know how much happier she'll be after the nap and I know when she needs it.   

June 24th.  One of her first naps in her crib.  
She still alternates between her Rock 'n' Play sleeper and the crib. We're transitioning.

Naomi is becoming quite the little athlete:
  • Flexibility: She has learned to suck on her toes--and gives new meaning to the yoga pose "Happy Baby!"
July 3
  • Core Strength: She loves to stand and can hold herself up for a long time.  She sits well too and can balance for up to a minute without falling over.  
0724131817.jpg

  • Upper Body Strength:  During our Pioneer Day celebrations (July 24th), she showed off her high bar skills, suspended in the air!  See video HERE*.
*I just realized this video was taken at the tail end of her show, so it misses her most impressive tricks.  We actually did raise her off the ground and she held on with that strong baby grip!  Baby entertainment is the best.
  • Cardio: She recently took her first "big" bath in the whole tub and started swimming straightway.  If video doesn't load, watch HERE.
  • Agility:  Thanks to Hylan's Mom, she now has a "Johnny Jump Up" in which she enjoys practicing her pirouettes.
  • Muscle Memory:  She has also started rolling all around the living room and can go quite a distance.  

We bought her a high chair seat and she is starting to eat solids!  The first two times didn't go so well, but I decided to put a tiny bit of banana in her rice cereal and now she gobbles it up.

          
August 1
August 2

I didn't realize she was ready for shopping cart sitting, but obviously I'm new at this.  No more car seat lugging around!  Yay.

July 31, 2013

The past couple of months have been jam-packed with summertime fun.  We've had family visiting from California and Pennsylvania.  We even went on a pilgrimage to the fatherland in Victor, Idaho during my 31st birthday week.

Here's a "family pic" from a night out at a restaurant in Provo.  I'm making a funny face at her to get her to smile.  

July 20th, 2013

But this one is cuter:


I tell you, it's not easy to take care of a baby.  Contrary to most of these pictures where she looks blissfully happy, sometimes she's cranky and ornery too.  Sometimes Most of the time, that's me more than her. Some days I don't change out of my pajamas/workout clothes until just before Hylan gets home from work, or not at all.  But some days, everything comes together and it feels perfectly blissful in its ordinariness.  

And now back to Naomi.

She is so aware of everything now: sights, smells, sounds, tastes, and textures.  Each month brings new developments and it's exciting.  When people commented to me about how my newborn wouldn't always be that little, frankly, I didn't understand what they were saying, but now I'm starting to get it.  And yes, I do reminisce about the littleness, but I am just fine with growth, change, and learning.  Growth is life!  Besides, I'll always have pictures to remember how little she once was.  So, I'm determined not to be sad about the next stage, or putting away too small clothes, etc.     

And now to bore delight you with more baby pictures that make me smile. 

June 9


       June 14                                 June 15                               June 18**

June 18**
**Yup, that was a day she needed several outfit changes.

Yellow eyelet dress from my Aunt Nancy.

June 23  

June 29
She plays hard!

 June 30 
White dress from her G.G. Evelyn Harper.

July 10
Hylan captured this sweet sleeper.  She often folds her hands when she sleeps.  Or, maybe she is praying. 

July 19
Just Goofing Around

0807131030.jpg
Out take.

So much cuteness contained in this little one!  By the way, perfect strangers, friends, and family alike comment on her looking like her Daddy.  But look at those Mommy thighs, blue eyes, and fair skin!  ;o)

No comments: