Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Very Green Tomato Fall Harvest

Back at the beginning of October, I was fearful of a frost advisory and wanted to clean up the garden (sadly including uprooting my beautiful flowers), as well as replace the summer decor with fall decor, and also have a project to do on the Saturday of General Conference (because otherwise I'm guaranteed to fall asleep sometime during the second hour of each session).

So, this is what I did.  Please excuse me while I gloat over my produce.

I'm just a little proud because I started all of this stuff from seed in an upstairs bedroom back in April (never got around to posting those pics).  I know plenty of people garden, and hopefully, next year when I have a full yard instead of a little townhouse square patch, I'll be cool like those people and have more than a potted plant garden.        


The harvest included lots of green tomatoes with a few ripe ones, bell peppers (green and purple), green onions, basil, and a little parsley.  


All cleaned up and ready for the party!  What to do, what to do?



Trying to use up the goods, I decided to make and can Green Tomato Relish (mostly following that recipe) and then Green Tomato Salsa (no recipe for that...and I added a few non garden ingredients like: garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro).

The two look the same in the jar, but taste entirely different.  I've already used some of the green salsa mixed with store bought green enchilada sauce for crock pot shredded chicken tacos.  Hylan really liked that.


But then I still had this leftover.  So I made a traditional pesto with the basil (sort of like that recipe link but with good Parmesan instead of Pecorino and obviously using a few extra store bought ingredients).


And then I concocted homemade pesto pizza with fresh whole milk mozzarella and red ripe tomatoes.  


Always a winner in Hylan's book.  He is a pesto lover.

Spaghetti Green Tomatoes Mario Batali

I've also made this green tomato spaghetti recipe twice with some of those pesky leftover green tomatoes.  I am still loving me some noodles, so we have gobbled this one up fast.  This is actually not my picture.  Mine looked very similar but with larger chunks of green tomatoes strewn throughout.  

And this is what is still leftover about a month later.  By now, those green tomatoes are starting to ripen, so I think there is either yellow or red tomato soup or tomato sauce in my future.


And now I know what to do with a green tomato harvest.  Maybe I'll fry up some green tomatoes next time around too.  

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Wow...all that from potted plants? I think you've just inspired me to try my hand at gardening next year!