Monday, January 18, 2010

If I were Jodie Sweetin's Friend


Did anyone else love Full House growing up? I don't know what happened to all of those cheesy family shows of the 80's and early 90's, but I kinda miss them a lot.

I loved Stephanie Tanner from that show. I identified with her because she was my age. Although Jodie Sweetin's TV character and real life were really nothing like my own, I still loved her like she was my friend. I have such fond memories watching Full House on TGIF or when it was on Tuesday nights. I don't think I've seen a single episode where I haven't thought to myself, I had an outfit and did my hair like that, just like Jodie Sweetin. It just takes me back. Through the curls and perms, neon colors and funky hair barrettes. It was the times.

I was so disappointed when the show ended. I was in Junior High, but could have cried like a Kindergartner over that. Either way, after the show ended, Jodie took an entirely different path in life than I did. I know, because I just read her memoir, "Unsweetined," a candid, gut-wrenching memoir about her life and her battle with addictions.

I was so interested in this book that I read it within a 24 hour time period. Even though I've never met and probably never will meet Jodie Sweetin, I still feel some sort of strange kinship to her. And that's why I wish her all the best. Even though we aren't friends, and frankly it's a little strange to care so much about a person you don't even know, I still hope that she continues to pursue a positive path and continue to be the best mother she can to her baby girl. I hope she continues to find peace and happiness free of drugs, alcohol, parties, and unhealthy relationships.

I wish she had what I have. I wish she knew what I know. I wish she had The Gospel, because I know that's where true peace and joy come from. I wish I could be her friend and could share with her what I know about the atonement--about repentance, forgiveness, and peace. There are truths ingrained so deep in my soul that I wish I could bear testimony of them to her and to all those who would be receptive to truth, those who may be searching for "something more." There IS more. I know we have a Heavenly Father who loves each of us as his children and because we are his children we are of infinite worth and ultimately have the potential to become like Him. And I know that this is only possible because of Jesus Christ. He is our Savior, our Redeemer, our King. We chose to come to earth and be a part of His magnificent plan, a plan of happiness, of salvation.

Perhaps my desire to reach out to someone I only know through television and a book is a little strange, but if I could, I would. Here is the best place to start. And also here.

I guess our youth's "missionary month" is having an effect on me. Did I mention I was put in the young women's presidency a few weeks ago? WHAT A LIFE?!

No comments: