Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Alarming Epidemic!

With more comments than usual on my past two blogs, I should probably take the hint and continue to express my opinions about hot topics, however, today all I can think about is how it's one hour + on the treadmill day and Pilates night.













So, in a few hours, I'll log my miles on the treadmill, and tonight, I'll go to the best Pilates class ever (plug: aerobics.byu.edu). *Addendum: after originally posting this blog, I was asked to teach Pilates tonight, which may make it not quite so much the best ever, but still fun! :)

And how's this for an alarming statistic. In ACE Certified News (Volume 15, No. 1, 3), "...but still an alarming 16 percent of U.S. children are obese and 32 percent are overweight or obese."

GASP. What kind of examples are we setting for our children?! I get how adults can overeat, overindulge, and be inactive due to a number of factors, but it's entirely unnatural for a child to overeat, overindulge, and not be active--it's called "PLAY!" If I write anymore, this blog will probably never end, so I will stop and leave you to draw your own opinions, but let me pose one question: Does the blame rest solely on parents?


3 comments:

Brittany said...

I agree that it's not normal for so many children to over eat. It's really sad to see so many of them at school. I had a student last year who had diabetes due to his weight and he was only in the 7th grade!

Holly Janeen said...

i think i am contributing to this epidemic!!! agh!!
you inspire me, though. perhaps i should hire you as my personal trainer when i give birth so that you can get me back into shape!
and as always... i love your blog :)

queendeni said...

Something of a problem is all the video games. Yikes!!