Friday, February 20, 2009

I would make a terrbile nurse...

This past week has been spent taking care of a sick and afflicted husband. Poor guy got the flu on top of the back injury and was quite immobile and in severe pain for many days (well, still is). I've been waking up to take him to Sandy where he receives spinal decompression and electrical therapy. I've been getting him drinks and food, adjusting his pillows, drawing his baths, washing his clothes, getting his phones, helping him move, ignoring my strong desires to torture myself with some cardio at the gym, among other things. I'm not going to lie, patience wasn't my most admirable quality, as playing the caretaker roll doesn't come all that naturally to me (I'm just a me-first kind of person--I'm working on it), but I guess it was a good opportunity to "prove" my love as it were for my wonderful hard-working guy. He deserves it!

Last Saturday, Valentine's Day, I taught two fitness classes, rushed to Stake Basketball, came home around 3:45 pm only to shovel snow for about 45 minutes, and finally was able to enjoy this surprise. Imagine a hunched over Hylan hobbling to a store to pick up a bunch of flowers, which he arranged in this lovely vase by the way--isn't he talented?, and then being convinced by some sweet ladies to pick up a cheesecake that they would personalize with a perfectly grammatical message for his wife. ;) So sweet. I guess Hylan was anticipating the appreciation for the future of what I was going to do that week.

After that, we got some Carrabba's take out--still my favorite Italian food ever!! Steak Marsala! Yum yum! The rest of the night is a blur as a few hours later, Hylan was feverish and way too ill--joints inflamed, back on fire and right side numb--to go to church and help me teach a Primary class and prepare sharing time for this Sunday.

So, it has been quite a week filled with going to this thing or doing this thing one right after the other, and now I'm feeling the sore throat come on. I have a lot I want to get done today, but I know if I overdo it, I will get full-blown sick, so we'll see how it goes.

Last night I went to a very fun and uplifting baby shower, which I'm sure Holly will blog about shortly! I made this red velvet cake--personally I think it looks better than it tastes. I mean, the flavor is decent, but I was disappointed with the crumb structure and level of moisture, but oh well. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
I hope y'all had a wonderful holiday-filled weekend and stress-free week! Either way, there's always a new day, warmer weather to come, and hope for a brighter future! Happy Friday and Happy Weekend!! :)

And thanks Mom and Dad for Hylan's birthday present. He smiled with anticipation while opening the package and said, "Okay, now I'm getting excited." And after he saw his Nintendo Wii he said, "Do they not want me to get anything done ever?" :) I think he'll find it good stress relief, or at least give him something else to think about instead of his back or whatever movie he can find on TV.

2 comments:

Marissa Marie said...

Wow, your red velvet cake is beautiful. You are a woman of many talents!

Holly Janeen said...

how darling are you and hylan? i love it! and you are my favorite cook ever. seriously need to take lessons from you!

i would make a terrible nurse, too. poor jeff never gets any sympathy from me... EVER. i always think he is exaggerating... oops! i need to repent!