Saturday, August 23, 2008

Peaches, Pretzels, & Pizza, etc.

First, here is a funny video clip of various family members back home (sigh) playing a balloon popping game. My Mom has the highlight at the end. It's a must see. http://hatuhite.blogspot.com/2008/08/birthdays-and-some-laughs.html#links


Yesterday, my sister and I got together with the intention of making peach pies. We bought some fresh peaches from the Red Barn, but they were too firm to be made into pies that day, so we ended up making homemade soft pretzels and pizza. Here are some highlights.


Sometimes when babies are contenting themselves by playing on the kitchen table, it's easier to let them play while we work.


We made some fabulous pizzeria pizzas. Madeleine took a nap during the dough rise. Annie loved her pizza.


If you weren't aware, Pennsylvania is the pretzel capital of the world. We were just getting back to our roots by making these, and they turned out so delicious. Madeleine loved her pizza, click on the image to see her face.


My sister hosted this event...she sure has lovely "Uba Tuba" granite in her kitchen (wink and a nudge to Hylan). I thought Annie was so cute lounging on the carpet.




Earlier this past week, I decided to invent my own healthy muffin recipe because I had two overripe bananas. The end result was surprisingly delicious. This is what I came up with.


I remembered to take a picture for the blog after I'd already snacked on several of these straight from the oven.

Emily’s Healthy Banana Orange Cornbread Muffins
Created 8/20/08

1/2 cup whole grain yellow corn meal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup flaxseed meal (I just grind my flaxseeds in my Magic Bullet)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 small bananas pureed
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons orange extract


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients:
1/2 cup whole grain yellow corn meal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients:
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 small bananas, pureed
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons orange extract


Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (like Pam for Baking, etc.). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Do not overmix. Using a #40 scoop, divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin compartments. These muffins will be smallish in size. Or, double scoop and make six large muffins. Bake 5-8 minutes (longer if doubled). They shouldn't take long and your nose will tell you when they are done. Stick a toothpick in to be sure. When it comes out cleanly, they are finished.

Serve warm with honey butter!

3 comments:

heatherhite said...

Wow, sounds yummy. I'm going to have to make those...don't mind me stealing your recipes, do ya? *wink* Speaking of which, I'm compiling recipes for a book, so any that you could give me, or your sister, would be fabulous. I'm hoping to get some from all my Hite relatives.

Brittany said...

Wow, I wish I had your cooking talent! Those muffins sound and look tasty.

kimberly said...

Looks yummy as always!!! I think Ben would love if I had your cooking talent! My specialties are Stouffers Lasagna and Papa Johns pizza! hahaha